How to make an Online Quiz
Learn how to make your own quiz
In this article
Make Trivia and Personality Quizzes
The following guide will show you how to create various types on online quizzes. You can have your quiz up and running in as little as a few minutes. Our quiz maker allows you to build quizzes which assign a score or quizzes which assign a type/personality. So if you're a student looking to create your own test exams or a marketer looking to generate leads with a viral quiz the following guide has you covered. Keep in mind the quiz maker is free to try out so you can create any of the following below without paying a cent.
How to make a trivia quiz
A trivia quiz will allow you to create questions that are marked as correct/incorrect and assign a score upon completion. You can optionally add grades, leaderboards and even certificates. On the homepage of our QuizMaker or within the Dashboard you can create your first quiz.
- From the Quiz type drop down select 'Trivia / Marked'
- Hit 'Add Question' and select 'Multiple Choice'
- Now add your answers in the answer field boxes
- Tick 'correct answer' where appropriate
- Repeat the above for all of your questions
You quiz will now automatically show a score upon completion. You can control the behaviour of results by hitting the 'Results' tab of the editor. Hit the Preview button to see what your quiz looks like or hit the 'Share' tab to begin distributing your quiz to participants.
How to create a quiz with grades
Once you've added questions to your quiz and assigned correct answers using the above instructions, you can add grades for certain ranges of scores. You can modify the title of the grade and add custom descriptions. There are no limits to the number of grades you may add.
- Hit the 'Results' tab at the top of the Quiz Maker
- Now hit the 'Grades' and Add Grade then Ok
- Enter a title for your Grade and a description (option)
- Enter minimum and maxium score for your grade
- Repeat the above for each grade.
How to create a quiz which assigns a personality / type
In the following steps we are effectively going to link questions to outcomes/types. If we're building a quiz which is going to recommend a holiday destination you might ask 'What kind of activities do you enjoy' Your answers may include: Swimming, Climbing, Hiking, Driving and Dinning out. We would match a travel destination for each of these answers. These answers allow us to match very different travel recommendations and create an engaging quiz. Once each of your answers is connected to an outcome/type our Quiz Maker will automatically assign the best match. If things are still unclear the instructions below will provide more clarity.
Note: You can use only Multiple Choice and Checkbox questions to assign types
- Give your quiz a title and from the Quiz type drop down select 'Assign Types'
- Hit 'Add Question' and now select 'Multiple Choice'
- Repeat the above step until you've added all of your questions
- Hit the 'Results' tab and then Add Type
- Enter a title for your type and a description
- Hit the 'Assign answers and now click each answer which relates to this type. Hit 'Ok'
- Repeat the above step for each of your types
Your type can be a redirection to a custom URL. This would allow you to have participants be redirected to a custom page on your website which can be useful to help guide people to correct destination, course or product.
How to add certificates to your quiz results
You can assign a certificate based upon a score, grade, outcome or simply provide them to all who complete your quiz. The certificate will be presented in results and also be available to participants for a PDF download.
- After you've added questions to your Quiz hit the 'Results' tab
- Tick the certificate option and hit the Configure button
- Set the conditions under which you'd like your certificate to appear
- Hit Edit Certificate and the Certificate editor will load
- From here you can tailor the text and background of the certificate
If you wish to use your own certificate background we suggest an image size of 3500px x 2400px to ensure the highest quality possible.
How to add a leaderboard to your quiz
You can show a ranked leaderboard at the end of your quiz to inspire a little healthly competition. To appear on the leaderboard you quiz takers will need to enter a name.
- If you haven't already done so add the 'Name' question. The name entered here will be used in the Leaderboard
- On the Results tab tick 'Show a Leaderboard'
- Your quiz will now show a ranked leaderboard
How to collect email addresses/leads with your quiz
You can choose to require an email address to be entered at the end of your quiz in order to view results. This serves as a great way to begin an ongoing dialog for either marketing or education purposes.
- Add your quiz questions
- Hit the 'Leads' tab and Tick 'Lead Capture'
- You can now edit the questions asked in lead capture
If you check your results and don't see lead capture entered it means participants closed the quiz at the point in which we asked for an email address. If you're seeing too much dropout either consider increasing the incentive or allowing lead capture to be skipped.
How to change the look and feel of your Quiz
There are 40+ default themes to choose from and a custom theme editor. The editor can be used to change background images, colors and fonts to match your branding. The results will automatically be styled to match your quiz theme.
- Add your quiz questions
- Hit the Themes tab to choose a preconfigured theme
- Hit customize to add your own background, colors and fonts
If you're feeling more adventurous and are familiar with CSS hit Settings, Plugins, View Add Plugins. From here you can create your own plugin to add your own custom CSS. If you're not experienced with front-end design it's best to stick to the custom editor described above.
Send out invites to your Quiz takers
There are a few ways to share your quiz online. By default you quiz will run on our cloud and be optimized to run on mobiles, tablets and desktops. You can choose to embed your quiz on your website. You can also control who gets to take your quiz with unique codes and passwords.
- Add your quiz questions
- Hit the Share tab
- You can choose to share the link directly or copy and paste embed code
Unique Codes - Require a single use code to be entered when the quiz starts. The code may only be used once by one person. This is a great way ensure your quiz is not taken multiple times by a single person.
How do I access my quiz maker results?
The quiz maker dashboard allows you to access your quiz results and manage your existing quizzes.
- Log into the Quiz Maker Dashboard
- Hit the Results icon of your quiz
- You'll see a list of results options
|Charts||Show graphs for all responses combined. See pie charts and bar graphs showing how your respondents answered.|
|Export||Export raw individual results to a CSV or excel file for download. Includes score and outcomes where appropriate.|
|Individual Responses||View a list of each completed response to view individual participant answers. You can search for a particular response by answer data.|
|Map Responses||Shows a geopgraphical map of where your respondents are based. This can be turned off for privacy with plugins.|
|Timeline||Shows when over time you received responses. This can be useful for analyzing the effectiveness of marketing campaigns.|
|Education Level||Relates to the highest level of education that an individual has completed, including primary, secondary, tertiary, and postgraduate studies.|
|Share||You can choose to share a link to make your quiz results public|
Have questions for us?
Is Quiz Maker free?
Do I need to signup to use Quiz Maker?
Where do I create my quiz?
How do I add pictures to my Quiz?
How do I email respondents and/or myself results?
How do I add a login to my quiz?
How do I redirect respondents to a URL after completion?
What is Lead Capture?